Frequently Asked Questions

Click on any Question to expand and see the answer.


Is it possible to change my beneficiary?

Each structure is unique in its design. This will depend on how your structure was set up. Please contact us so we can help.


Is it possible to get a cash advance or cash in my structure?

No. A structured settlement cannot be modified in any way. Once the plan is locked in, no changes can be made. These regulations are outlined by Canada Revenue Agency in order for you to receive your payments free of any tax. Structured settlements are non-assignable, non-commutable, and non-transferable. The advertisements you may have seen on television are from the United States and do not apply to Canadian structured settlements. If you need access to cash and are approaching your bank for a loan, we would be pleased to provide your bank with a letter confirming your structured settlement payments.


Do I have to report my structure payments on my tax return?

No. CRA deems the structured settlement payments as tax-free and are therefore not reported on your income tax return.


My structure payments (or my child's) will not be starting for a number of years. What do I need to do?

Please contact us a few months prior to the commencement of the payments and we will gladly set up the direct deposit process. Please contact us if your banking information changes.


What happens to my structure payments if I die?

Each structure is unique in its design. This will depend on how your structure was set up. Please contact us so we can help.


What happens if I am moving?

Please complete the change of address form and kindly fax it to our office at 416-947-0766 or via email to:

Please allow us 3-4 weeks to arrange the change. We want to ensure that your payments are not interrupted.


What happens if I am changing my bank or my account?

Please email

Please do not proceed to close your bank account until such time as the payments have successfully been deposited into the new bank account.


How does Baxter get paid?

We are paid a one-time commission directly from the life insurance company. Our ongoing services to you are free. We are always here for you to answer any questions or concerns you may have.


I’m a lawyer, can you help me with the closing documentation?

Absolutely, please contact us and we would be pleased to work with you to customize our precedents to your case.

Phone 1-800-387-1686 or via email


How do I retain a structure broker?

You may contact us by phone and any member of our experienced team would be pleased to guide you through the process. If you prefer to contact us by email, please complete the contact us form and fax at 416-947-0766 or email your questions to us at . One of our brokers will be pleased to contact you directly. We are here to make the process as user-friendly and efficient as can be. Again, our services are always free.


How do I get a Present Value figure?

Please feel free to use our online Present Value Calculator. If you have any questions or require assistance, one of our team would be pleased to assist you.


How do I get a Present Value Calculator , Slider or App?

Please send us an email and we will be pleased to send a slider to you and your colleagues. You can download the Baxter Present Value App for your mobile device here.


My question is not listed here, now what?

Please call or email and a member of our team will be pleased to assist you.